Video games are often thought as a waste of time, but with the correct approach, there are many benefits that we can get from them. Here are things that may benefit you:
- Resource allocation: In many games, resources can be severely restricted to make them more challenging to players. Resident Evil is a popular survival game and one part of the excitement is to survive, regardless of the limited resources. Instead of fighting will all guns blazing, players need to carefully manage what little ammo and health packs they have. They need to consider whether it’s necessary to get into a situation that may potentially cause them to lose available resources. In real life, many people find themselves to be financially strapped, so they can use the same principle to manage money.
- Problem solving: Games are often about solving problems. This applies to puzzle, RPG and RTS games, where players will face various challenges that can’t often be approached in a straightforward manner. Lemmings is a good game series for people who want to improve their problem solving skill. Once those small green-haired guys start to fall into pits, you need to something quickly. It is important to quickly notice potential problems and solve them in the most efficient manner. In many RTS games, players need to race to devise a strategy, when the opposing player poses a big obstacle.
- Persistence: Many games actually purposely cause you to fail in the first few tries. You can succeed only through trial and error approach. Controls and enemies can be completely atrocious for new gamers. Without persistence, you won’t achieve the intended goals in games. When learning new skill, persistence is the key. It’s no use for people to play games, if they quit after their first attempt. They need to keep at it and work towards improving your skill. Persistence is an important trait to have if you want to be successful in any field. You need to work towards bettering your grasp in any skill.
- Responsibility: Responsibility is an important thing in life. You won’t succeed in any game if you become only a lacklustre overseer. In games like The Sims, you need to take care of characters in your virtual family. You shouldn’t forget to clean up the house. This game is a good simulation on how to raise a family and be responsible in anything you do. If you start to neglect little things in your house, clutter will pile up, which will result in poor mood and productivity. It’s something that applies also in your life. Irresponsible gamers could end up seeing their virtual characters dead.
- Think outside the box: Games can become the most random mash up of puzzles, folklore and graphics appeal. Developers need to think outside the box to ensure that they come up with something innovative. Solving these games also need a different approach that can’t be used on other typical games. Nothing beats spending plenty of times trying to come up with new strategies and approaches that are not applicable anywhere else.